Creating a tracker
This section explains the steps for creating and setting up an AppMetrica tracker and tracking URL to use them in ad campaigns.
- Step 1. Create a tracker
- Step 2. Choose a media source
- Step 3. Configure a SmartLink
- Step 4. (Optional) Configure attribution
- Step 5. (Optional) Configure postbacks
- Step 6. Save the tracker
- Step 7. Use the created tracking link
Step 1. Create a tracker
In the AppMetrica interface, go to the Trackers section and click Create tracker.
Step 2. Choose a media source
On the New tracker page, fill in the following Campaign details:
- This is remarketing campaign — Flag indicating that the tracker is being created for a remarketing campaign. For more information, see Creating a remarketing tracker.
- Tracker name — A name for the tracker. The tracker will be shown in the Trackers list with the specified name.
- Application — The application the tracker is being created for.
- Partner — The media source to attribute clicks, installs, and conversions to. If the media source isn't in the list, you can add it. After being added, the new source will be saved in the list.Note. Once the tracker has been created, you can't change the media source in the settings.
Step 3. Configure a SmartLink
A SmartLink is a universal tracking link that automatically changes the destination URL, deeplink and post-click landing depending on the platform.
- Platform — The target platform. You can select Android, iOS, Windows Phone, and also Fallback. Use Fallback to create a destination URL for all other types of traffic. For example, you could send the user to a promo page if they clicked on the link from a desktop PC (or another non-mobile device).
- Destination URL — A link that leads to the app store or a page where the user can install the app. When you add it to this field, the parameter is saved in the app settings.
- Deeplink — A link that opens an app installed on the device and transmits the specified data to it. If omitted, clicking the ad opens the app page in the app store.
- Post-click landing — A link to the page in the browser that the user goes back to from the app store or the installed app. By default, this is an empty page for the tracker's last redirect.
Step 4. (Optional) Configure attribution
Attribution correctly detects the source that attracted users to your app and accurately correlates an app install with a click on an ad.
- Fingerprint — Attribution using a heuristic algorithm. The default value is 24 hours. You can change the timeframe from 1 to 24 hours.
- Device ID / Google Referrer — Attribution using the unique device identifier and Google Play referrer. The default value is 10 days You can change the timeframe from 1 to 10 days.
- Reattribution — Attribution of repeat installs by pre-existing users. This option is disabled by default.Note. For test devices, reattribution is always enabled (regardless of the setting). To add a test device, go to the app settings and choose the Test devices tab.
Step 5. (Optional) Configure postbacks
Postbacks are usually necessary when running CPI/CPA campaigns. You can add up to 5 postbacks per tracker.
- Postback destination — The partner who will receive the postback.
If you want to collect your own statistics, you can send the postback to your own server. To do this, you need to add a media source.
- Event — The target event that triggers sending the postback to the media source.
The event may have one of several types:
- Install postback — Send the postback after an attributed install.
- Event postback — Send the postback after an attributed conversion.
Postback URL — A postback link. AppMetrica allows transmitting custom tracking parameters to the postback URL. By default, the postback URL contains parameters from the media source settings. To change the parameters, click Edit (changes will be saved in the media source settings).
You can set the corresponding option to send the postback only for the first target event. All subsequent events will be ignored.Note. Some advertising partners can set a permanent Postback URL for their network. In this case, the postback is sent to the partner regardless of other settings. It can't be edited.
- Re-engagement window — The maximum amount of time that can pass between the install and the target event. A postback won't be sent to the media source if the target event takes more than the specified time.
Step 6. Save the tracker
Save the customized tracker. The tracker is available in the Trackers section.
In this section, you can:
- Edit the tracker.
- Move the tracker to the archive.Note. The statistics from archived trackers remain available in reports. After moving a tracker, you can't restore it yourself. If you archived a tracker by mistake, use the feedback form to send us a message.
Step 7. Use the created tracking link
After the tracker is created, the tracking URL can be used in an advertising campaign. The tracking link created with the SmartLink option automatically determines the user's platform and directs them to the corresponding destination URL.
Link parameters can be pre-defined or custom. For more information, see Parameters of the tracking URL.